Update: This Apple AirPods deals is still available (no it didn't sell out like some sites were predicting), however, it is a bit backordered until next week. However, the actual AirPods deal is still in place, so you'll save money in any event.
There are several reasons I made the purchase, after much pondering. Sure, it has new features like touchless 'Hey Siri' and wireless charging. But the perks that swayed me to upgrade are all minor in comparison.
Here are the three reasons I bought new AirPods, and how much I paid for them during Prime Day 2019.
1. AirPods on sale today for Amazon Prime Day
I've been waiting for Amazon Prime Day 2019 to roll around to buy a lot of things. I mean I've been rationing supplies like trash bags, laundry detergent, and even heavy duty sponges – all on sale and finally bought today. I need new sunglasses, but I didn't get them until today either. I've saved $50 on supplies in the end.
This same purposeful procrastination applied to the AirPods 2 with wireless charging. I didn't need them right away, so paying $30 less for the version with wireless charging 16 weeks after they first launched made a lot of sense to me.
Here's how much they cost on sale in the US and UK…
Note in the US: I saved an extra $9.01 by choosing No-Rush Shipping option. Amazon may be doing this for two reasons: AirPods are going to be very popular today, and everyone from Amazon employees and UPS drivers are going to overloaded shipping everything else sold over the course of the next two days. It gives them a reprieve from getting a popular item out to you. To Amazon, that must be worth $9.01.
The upgraded AirPods 2019, without wireless charging, are also on sale today. They include the touchless 'Hey Siri' feature, and offer slightly longer battery life.
2. I'm selling my old AirPods while they have value
If I'm going to sell my AirPods, it has to be in 2019 for them to be worth anything. In time, the battery life will fail and audio volume will diminish. It's good enough for someone else to enjoy for another year or two (probably a family member since I wouldn't want to overcharge a stranger for something that has finite life).
I'm a big believer in getting rid of old tech to fund the purchase of new gadgets. It's how I funded the purchase of the iPhone XS Max, Apple Watch 3 and MacBook Pro. Advice: Get rid of things while they still have value attached to them.
3. Refreshed battery life is the key reason
My current AirPods from 2017 still last roughly four hours between charges, which is still impressive, in my opinion. It's longer than other people I've talked to are getting – several have told me about battery life issues.
Having a refreshed battery life that goes a full five hours between charges will give me exactly what I need on longer cross-country flights – and someone in my family will find four hours and, eventually, even three hours, just fine for their purposes.
Other smaller reasons I bought AirPods
- I've been using wireless charging more than ever since the iPhone 8 launched with the feature. It's nice to be able to just drop the AirPods case on a Qi charging mat and forget about it, without having to plug in a Lighting cable.
- I don't expect the official 'AirPods 2' to launch next year – at best. So now is the right time to get the AirPods 2nd-gen. During their first big sale, but not right up against the release date of the AirPods 2.
- I imagine finding the 'Hey Siri' feature useful in New York City. The mic on AirPods picks up speech better than other true wireless headphones I've tested. And I'm always carrying things in my hands. Asking to Siri to play a specific song hands-free while walking the NYC streets is going to be a bit, how Apple says, magical.